f

Sunday 29 January 2017

S U B C O U T U R E | Release Review

This weekend brought us the latest update of Subcouture which Stardoll gave us a little spoiler for on Friday, so we knew to be prepared! I really like Stardoll making use of real medolls in the homepage adverts right now, it definitely makes the collections seem more relatable and is definitely attractive, so kudos to Stardoll =) I also love the colours of the homepage advert, they definitely get my attention!
Highlights This release came with the usual 2 floors of pieces for us to choose from, and it's a pretty good mix and I like the size of the release, not too small, or too overwhelming. After seeing the spoilers I felt like I had a good idea of how everything would be presented as I think it's pretty half and half with more minimal styles against the more artsy and coloured items, but I was definitely wrong there! All pieces for the girls this time too. I also really like the jade-marbled background to this store as well, it's totally eye-catching =D
Accessories Although there are a small number of accessories I think the range is excellent. We have 3 pairs of shoes to choose from in a range of styles, heels with the pink Slip In Pumps which I absolutely adore for their great design, boots with the Black And White Striped Wedges, which I thought I might really like but I'm still a little unsure about, then lastly the Subcouture YSL Inspired Platforms which aren't really my style but I think will definitely go down well with the right people! There are 2 cross-body bags in the store, a style I really like and think a lot of others feel the same, so I'm happy about that. Both are mostly black however the Feathers And Stribes Shoulder Bag adds a fabulous orange flair while the Subcouture Love Bag adds a more subdued dash of colours with the 'love' print. Of the sunglasses I think the Hot Pearls Sunglasses will go down pretty well with their good shape and rather cool colouring - they don't suit me, but I have a whole handful of people in mind who I know they will work for! And then there's the Subcouture Trucker Cap which is an SC piece and for that reason I think most people will purchase, and also the Supersize Hoop Earring Left and Right, I'm very much in two minds how I feel about earrings coming as two separate pieces, but they're not an expensive piece in the store, so getting two won't put you out of pocket too much really^
Clothing The clothes are definitely the more exciting part of the release and as I mentioned before there's definitely a split in two, with one side being the minimal styled pieces and the other being colourful and artistic, and so that's how I'll split the discussion^
          Minimal For me the ultimate piece on this section is the Oversized Pearl Trenchcoat, not only does it stand out in terms of size, but it has a fab pearlescent pink colour and amazing design, after seeing the spoilers I knew I would buy it not even caring about the cost (it's not the most expensive item either, it's priced at 42SD's and is not SS/Royalty only). Then there are 4 pieces which group together based on their very basic design and cutout styles, so the paired Zig Zag Hazelnut and Black Crop Tops, good bases for looks especially for the summer, then the very bright Cutout Midi Skirt with a good shape and fit to the doll, and lastly a dress with the Mock Halter Dress which is my favourite of the four, I think it's going to be very versatile and easy to wear. It is maybe a little expensive for what it is and the minimal design, but I think in the long run it might be worth it^ There are two denim pieces in this category, both of which I really like, which maybe took me a little by surprise, the No Edges Denim Jacket with a nice oversized cropped style, and the Fryed Denim Top which I've styled already and actually am really excited to style in the Spring and Summer! And then there are a few co-ord pieces too, the Pinstripe Short Jacket with the Cropped Pinstripe Pants of which I love the trousers and look forward to trying out, and then the Victorian Sleeve Blouse which I'd really pair with the Bell Bottom High Waisted Pants, both of which I ended up buying, so I think it'll be an interesting time styling those!
          Artsy I'm definitely into the pieces in this half a lot less than the minimal items, so I'll do my best to cover them evenly! The 'Stardust' pieces (the Metallic Pants, Biker Jacket and Skirt) definitely grab your attention from the get go with their bright colours and glittery effect. They're not really the most versatile of pieces, so I think it will be interesting to see what people come up with for these items. Also very bright in pink is the Silk Slip Inspired Dress, which is designed to pair with the Tuille Corset Dress, I definitely find items like that hard to style as I can't imagine how they would look paired with the clothes I already own, but I think people with the right clothing will get them right^ The rest of the items are split into tops and bottoms and each is very individually designed and nothing is an obvious pair to each other. There are 3 tops and bottoms each to browse between. Casually there are the Subcouture Layered Tshirt which has rather nice chiffon sleeves, and the Beached Boyfriend Jeans and the Belted Stone Washed Denim Skirt which I think looks nice on it's own but then not so much on my doll, which is a shame because I think it's something that could be worked with a little^ And then not-so-casual are the Lace Up Barrock Trousers with nice neutral colours but a more intricate design, and then two tops, the Layered Silk Cami Sweater, which I quite like apart from the colours as they don't work so well with my doll, and the Lace Chain Top of primary colours which I'm actually a little tempted by! I haven't seen anyone style this piece yet, but I actually think it could look good in a reasonable range of looks, so this might be a last minute purchase for me =D
Prices This collection ranges from 5 to 47SD's with a couple of pieces for SS/Royalty only and also a couple of SC items too. I think the prices are fairly reasonable for the items, and they are on track with the prices of the previous 3 or 4 releases of Subcouture. As per past releases, pieces aren't limited by number, just by the time they are available for!
Features As there are a lot of features to follow, I'll be posting my own looks from the collection later this week because I think these looks from members should provide plenty of inspiration if you weren't sure about an item^ I knew the Oversized Pearl Trenchcoat would be a popular one and I was definitely right as I've seen so many great looks with it that it was tricky just choosing a couple - first up is CandyStarSmile4 pairing it with this colour-matched floral print perfectly, the tones are just right for each other. I like the addition of the fake back-panel, it works well here with the trousers^ Minimal pieces elsewhere in the look definitely let the pink pearl shine!
And next up with the Oversized Pearl Trenchcoat is SpaceShine going rather cool and quite a lot more casual choosing these great shimmering jeans as a good pairing choice^ I love the effect the two have, along with the shiny pointed heels - so great =D And a little streetstyle going on as well with the cap and glasses to top it off^
And lastly Marta-43 who I've spotted with two different looks, the first showcasing the Oversized Pearl Trenchcoat in this amazing neon look, who really would have thought it a great combination, but it really is awesome^ I love the skirt which combines the yellow with pink flowers - definitely a winning look! And then secondly wearing the Feathers And Stribes Shoulder Bag in this black and orange dress look, isn't it so cool^ Love the accessories in this one all round, the socks and shoes and sunglasses are great!
And then styling an accessory, the Subcouture Trucker Cap, is Hannahcool1232. I really think the piece stands out well in this look by pairing it with the black and red and white, and even a little more green^ I really like the style combination with the smart striped blazer and the smart white shorts, it works out really nicely, and the Dior clutch is a fab bag choice!
The No Edges Denim Jacket also seems to have been a popular piece with two looks with it for you today - firstly from LuluTelulu pairing is with ripped and hem-distressed jeans to match well with the bottom of the jacket. I really like the use of the long cardi underneath the denim jacket, I think it has a great effect and I kinda wanna try something similar now^
And also with the No Edges Denim Jacket going a little edgy with leather and studs and hoops is Bay_watch11. I like the contrast between the leather trousers and shoes with the denim, I think it works well, and I also like the use of gold accents in the accessories and the shirt, it works well!
And choosing an accessory, the Slip In Pumps is maria_lh with this sweet feminine styling^ I love them with these pink culottes, I think they work well with the length. The rest of the look is sweet and fitting, I especially like the beige bag, the colour is perfectly complimentary to the shoes =)
And lastly is ThePerpetua styling the Victorian Sleeve Blouse pretty much exactly how I imagined a lot of people would choose to style it! It works well with the dark jeans and I love the current style choice of the polo underneath it. The accessories are great, love the use of the belt across the body. And lets take a minute to look at those trainers because they're 100% StarDesign, that's so crazy - they look so real!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment